Birth Control Options
Teaches women to determine the fertile phase of their menstrual cycle. To avoid pregnancy, women avoid intercourse on fertile days.
- Sympto-thermal method is 91-99% effective with perfect use, but other natural family planning methods are not as effective*
- 80% effective with typical use (failure rate, 20%)*
- Ovulation is detected via observation of cervical mucus, body temperature, and position of cervix
- Inexpensive and natural
- Requires diligence, strict compliance, and periodic abstinence
- May not be suitable for women with erratic/ irregular menstrual cycles